Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Uncharted Territory

The FOC 07/08 NightWalk will be put on hold. The FOC 06/07 Chronicles are still unfinished (I've been slowing down in the sentence production dept lately) and the FOC 07/08 Chronicles are 1/4 complete. But this I can say: the NightWalk 07/08 was a success!

So, what do I speak about? Here it is.

One of the hardest things to do is to look at something very familiar as if it is your first time seeing it. Look around your home, as if you are a visitor, coming for the first time. At the bustop where you wait for the bus to school every morning, look at your neighbourhood around you. Recently I tried looking at a 50-cent Singapore coin as if it was something new, a coin from a country a thousand kilometres away. Not easy.

But looking at my neighbourhood as if for the first time was easier. Because usually you would know where everything is, all I had to do was imagine I didn't know where everything was! But what if you have lived in it all your life? (I have lived in mine for 10 years now.)

One of the comforts of familiarity comes from knowing what to expect, where everything is, what lies behind that door. Once you let go of this feeling, disorientation and uncertainty arrive...

Try it yourself!

No comments: