Sunday, September 16, 2007

Ramadhan Est Ici!

Ramadhan is here! It is a month of interesting food combinations, early morning vigils, marathon prayers, and some say indigestion. Oh, and fasting.

When else would you wake up in the morning and eat RICE? (I don't even like rice in the first place.) And have TEA to go with it? (I like teh-O, but not with rice, please.) So, for this morning's sahur (sahur means early-morning meal), I raided the fridge and oven. Discovered yesterday's french toast in the oven, kueh kaswi (is that how you spell it?) and dates in the fridge, and fixed up a mug of hot Milo. Délicieux.

I now seem to understand why some mosques have very short tarawih prayers (performed only during Ramadhan) and some have very long ones. It seems that at Ar-Raudhah Mosque, three imams who have memorised the Qur'an have been invited to lead in the prayers. So the prayers are longer because they choose to recite longer excerpts of the Qur'an.

Compare this with Al-Mukminin Mosque in Jurong, where shorter verses are read. The prayers finish earlier. Even faster at Ba'alwie Mosque, somewhere in Bukit Timah, I think. My mother likens the prayers there to exercise.

I've chosen to focus on unfinished business this Ramadhan. I've to confess I couldn't finish All my Chronicles and compose a song for the SP Symphonic Band, two of the most pressing things that need to be done. But I'm having fun thinking of new NightWalk scares, though. heehee.

I *Must* update my blog. A new skin coming up!

No comments: